|Butter Chicken © Rhiann Wynn-Nolet|
+/- 3 lbs. chicken breasts (about 4 breasts), skinless and boneless, cut into 2" pieces
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp butter
1 tsp minced garlic in oil (keep this on standby in the fridge, it's easier and faster than dealing with fresh garlic)
1 large onion, chopped small
1/2 inch ginger root, peeled and grated (we like grating vs. mincing, more flavorful!)
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
1/3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
6 oz. tomato paste
14 oz. can light coconut milk
1/4 C flour
1/4 C cilantro for garnish (if you're one of those people who loathe cilantro, scallions work too)
1. Put oil and butter in medium to large sauté pan and heat until bubbly
2. Add onion and sauté until clear
3. Add garlic and spices. Sauté 2-3 minutes more
4. Add flour, stir to coat onions, sauté one minute (until flour is no longer white)
5. Add coconut milk and tomato paste. Stir until blended, and sauce is thick and bubbly
6. Arrange chicken pieces in bottom of crockpot. Pour sauce on top and stir to coat
7. Cook on High 3 hours or on Low for 5 hours
8, Serve over grain of your choice. (Brown rice shown). Garnish with cilantro.
Bonus 1: Leftovers (unless you're serving a crowd). This should be plenty for 6 people.
Bonus 2: you get to smell garam masala, all spicy warm and sweet!
Bonus 3: flexibility-you could certainly make this with other meats, or go strictly vegan with it.